Pearl Barley RisottoSo I actually made a creamy vegan risotto!
AND I put tahini in something that proved to be edible!
Pearl Barley is super super cheap, and can be grown in the UK. In fact most of this can be UK grown (except perhaps, the oil, tahini and nuts!).
- Prepare Pearl Barley (Soak overnight or boil for 30-50 minutes) [75g per person]
- Chop & fry onion [half per person?] and some garlic to taste. Tastes best in butter or olive oil. I used vitalite.
- Stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add chopped curly kale and runner beans (or whatever veg you have).
- Make 1 litre of stock in a seperate jug.
- Add the PEARL BARLEY to the onions and veg.
- Stir until it sticks.
- Slowly add the stock waiting til it soaks up before adding more.
- Add more water if it needs it.
- Add a tablespoon of tahini and/or a tablespoon of ground nuts (I used cashewnut butter, but it's pretty expensive).
- Stir thoroughly, maybe with some more water.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes
- Enjoy !! (You may want to add greated cheese / extra butter/oil)